2023 information will be posted next year. Agenda information from 2022 can be used for early planning of 2023.
2022 Special Events
Industry Keynote Panel
Join a panel of industry experts as they share the ways Modeling and Simulation (M&S) technologies are helping them transform their businesses. This Industry keynote panel will provide broad ranging perspectives on the impact of M&S technologies in emerging markets (Drone and unmanned systems), heavy manufacturing and construction (America’s largest Shipbuilder), and international supply chain (North America’s largest value added distributor). Based on the theme of “Building a Better Tomorrow” the panelists will provide perspective on how M&S tools are helping them deploy solutions for a more resilient future.
Moderator: Nick Drucker, Manager, Enterprise Centers of Excellence, HII, 2022 Conference Chair
- Kenyth Campbell, Sr. Supply Chain Analyst, Ferguson Enterprise
- Rese Cleaver, Director of Product Management, DroneUp
- Mary Claire McLaughlin, Digital Capabilities Lab Manager, Newport News Shipbuilding (NNS)
"The Simulation Century" – Digital Twins and the Metaverse
This is our tenth annual session to address the growing issue of managing the human/ machine interface as we hurtle towards the Singularity and the Metaverse. We will continue our discussion of how to achieve fluency with smarter balance between humans and machines to optimize outcomes. The Simulation Century Panel presentations this year will focus on technologies that build towards the Metaverse.
Moderator: Richard Boyd, CEO, Tanjo, Inc.
- Dennis Belliveau, Explorer in Residence and Author, In The Footsteps of Marco Polo
- Anil Menon, Executive Vice President, Community & Urban Services, Sharecare, Inc.
- Marc Prensky, Renowned author and creator of the term “digital natives”
MSVE Capstone Presentations
The Modeling, Simulation & Visualization Engineering (MSVE) student capstone event will showcase presentations from the annual Old Dominion University Modeling, Simulation & Visualization Student Capstone Conference (MSVSCC) that was hosted at ODU-VMASC. Presenters are all best paper award winners in their domains and will provide perspective on how tomorrow’s M&S practitioners are already shaping the future of MODSIM.
- Infrastructure, Security & Military Track: “DeapSECURE Computational Training for Cybersecurity: Third Year Improvements and Impacts” Bahador Dodge, Jacob Strother, and Dr. Wirawan Purwanto
- Transportation, Business & Industry Track: “A Discussion on Supplier Selection Modeling Approaches” Sheida Etemadidavan
- Virtual Environments Track: “Engaging Human-in-the-Loop for Autonomous Vehicle Simulation” John di Battista, Christian Johnston, and Valerie Randall
- General Sciences & Engineering Track: “Is Explainability Always Necessary? Discussion on Explainable AI (XAI)” Gayane Grigoryan
Happenings in Medical Modeling and Simulation
Join a panel of industry and academic experts as they share the ways Modeling and Simulation (M&S) technologies are innovating in the medical space. This panel will provide broad ranging perspectives on the impact of M&S technologies in DoD and civilian medical training. Based on the theme of “Building a Better Tomorrow” the panelists will provide perspectives on how M&S tools are being deployed to help save lives.
- Claire Hughes, Research Associate III, eXtended Reality Division, Design Interactive, Inc., 2022 Deputy Program Chair
- Bob Armstrong, Assistant Professor, School of Health Professions and Executive Director, Sentara Center for Simulation and Immersive Learning, Eastern Virginia Medical School
- Frank Karluk, Account Executive, Medical Modeling and Simulation, DLH Corporation
- Philip LeDuc, Ph.D., William J. Brown Professor, Mechanical Engineering Department, Carnegie Mellon University
AR/VR Panel – Technologies Contributing to the Metaverse
This panel will quickly define the metaverse, what it means for the government, and then dive into the technology advancements which are making it possible today. The panel will explore areas such as real-time 3D, scaling, geospatial, Rendering, UI/UX, and how they come together to make a credible metaverse available for the government to realize significant value.
Moderator: Bob Kleinhample, Strategic Account Executive, Improbable U.S. Defense & National Security
- John Burwell, Global Lead, Simulation and Training, Varjo
- John Cunningham, Director, Unity Government & Aerospace
- Gastao De Figueiredo, SVP Strategic Partnerships, Blackshark.ai
- Caitlin Dohrman, General Manager, Improbable U.S. Defense and National Security
- Tim Woodard, Senior Solutions Architect, NVIDIA
MODSIM STEM Event
The MODSIM STEM event provides the conference a unique opportunity to contribute directly to the school experience of the youth who are just beginning to formulate their dreams for the future. During the MODSIM STEM event, approximately 100 area high school students will get the opportunity to see firsthand the world of M&S. Students will rotate through hands-on M&S demonstrations provided in the exhibit hall to see STEM in action.